View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #44
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paso Coug View Post
One of the predominent themes in LDS Church meetings is the concept of being blessed for a righteous act. I think we all know what I'm talking about. When you go to a stake priesthood meeting that starts at 7:00 a.m. on a Sunday, the Stake President states that all of those in attendance will be richly blessed for making the sacrifice to attend. We will be blessed if we pay our tithing and fast offering. Blessings come when we do our home teaching. I could list a hundred examples and testimony meetings typically have at least one person who shares an experience where the person believes that he or she was immediately blessed after some righteous act. LDS members get pounded with the righteous act=blessings logic. There is no doubt in my mind that the primary motivation for many members to do certain actions within the church is to receive blessings.

I would just like to say that I don't believe in this concept at all and my personal life experiences regularly contradict it. I just wanted to get this off my chest and didn't want to be bombarded by holier than thou responses on cougarboard.
Sometimes we get blessings for obedience that aren't the blessings we are expecting. Perhaps you were looking for a particular blessing and ignored - either inadvertently or intentionally - what was given to you.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote