View Single Post
Old 10-02-2005, 09:57 PM   #6
outlier

outlier is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I can understand that you'd feel that way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Perhaps Samuelson is acting under direction of a higher group of administrators that have decided that athletics are not as important in the big picture as we'd all like to think.
I'm about as much a die-hard Cougar fan as I am anything in life (recent flings with USC notwithstanding) and am totally okay with this possibility. And clearly, the school's re-enforcing the honor code above all else seems to point to this likelihood.

HOWEVER. If that's the case, then the school has been disingenuous by continually trying to tell the fan base that they're going to have great FB & BB teams and by suggesting that the only thing holding them back is donations. This is problematic because it ends up looking like the school, an organ of The One True Church, is spinning messages in order to GET MORE MONEY from its supporters. If our goal's to have the most obedient football team in the NCAA, I don't see why anyone should have donated money to build an IPF instead of donating that money to, you know, some WORTHY cause. (I kind of think any donations to any athletic program tends to be somewhat misguided -- aren't there more needy people in the world than that?)

It just seems brazen to try and get money out of people without having done the math that shows that it'll be impossible to offer the product they expect to receive.

o
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote