Thread: The Departed
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 02:45 AM   #49
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
SIEQ, what is the rosy optimistic picture for the mainline protestants?

Because they have a study group, because they send youth to Haiti, that doesn't speak to their viability. After all, there are so many non-profits that do more, that have no religious/Christian component.

Their membership is steadily declining. Steady decline means less churches, less community presence, and increasingly, less relevance.
I don't think their picture is rosy, but I do think there are ways to improve it. Proselyting is a must. Converting feel good-ism into substantive love- thy-neighbor sermonizing and regular, organized action will help. Robert Putnam and others have noted a vacuum for a real sense of community in the U.S. and these churches could step into that space. This is part of what the black mainline churches have tapped into, I think.

What they need to not do is try to appeal to everyone. Their old boundaries developed over doctrinal impasses that most people today don't understand or care about. They'll need to make their peculiarities distinctive markers, and will need to sharpen their brands, as it were. In other words, they'll have to rearticulate themselves.

I have ideas about how some of the mainlines may attempt this, but I need to evaluate a student on the radio in 15 minutes, so it'll have to wait!
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 04-30-2008 at 02:48 AM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote