Thread: The Departed
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #25
Snowcat

Snowcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
In my experience there are a few things that help people who come down with the "fever" of the issues and sources you've cited. Some of us here on CG have been faced with the decision of whether or not to walk away. Others are facing that decision right now. Here are a few:

1. A focus on the fruits of Mormonism in my life, as opposed to dwelling on the uncertainty of the roots of the Church.

2. A willingness to accept ambiguity on many issues. My academic training has actually helped me with this.

3. A willingness to not let the mullahs and fundies get me down (at least not in a serious way). The second phase of this is to go about actively deciding what you do and don't think and believe. Jetissoning all the mental gymnastics and non-think can actually feel good. Phase three is being able to appreciate that the ward is filled with good people who mean well despite their shortcomings. I haven't found phase four yet.

4. Getting plugged in to the LDS intellectual scene. Knowing your not alone is powerful. CG helps many of us in this regard. There are people in every ward who are in very similar situations. They can make great friends.

5. Take seriously what Joseph Smith said about embracing truth wherever you find it. This had lead me to a kind of Mormon universalism, where I'm a faithful heretic.

6. Finding my niche has been important. I served in the primary for four years and loved it. The kids appreciated me and I was insulated from the nonsense going on during the other two hours of the block.

I could keep going, but you get the idea. Wrestling with troubling questions concerning the Church can be very healthy. Faith dies when you stop asking those questions.
Interesting thoughts.
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote