Thread: Ride Reports?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE

Running isn't much better. I'm still to fat to "run" so I end up "jogging." I hate to jog. I've been getting shin splints and it's screwing with my knee. The other day I tried what they call 60/120s. I run for 60 seconds and then walk for 120. It feels a lot better because I can "run" for those 60 seconds, get into a good stride and it doesn't kill my knees. 120 is usually enough to recover so I can "run" for a full 60.

Has anyone else tried this? I feel like I'm getting a good workout but I don't know if this will do anything to improve my running. I'd like to get my 10k time back down under 40 minutes. Any ideas? Should I let the run go for a while until I get back down to a "running" weight?
I think that you've hit upon something with those 60/120s. If you can work some running in without it causing you much pain that's good. My advice would be to stay away from full-out running for now. Its no fun running overweight(I should know). Swimming and biking are great for helping you lose weight in the meantime. After you lose 'x' pounds and those sports are progressing nicely for you you can be a little more aggressive with your running. That should cut down on your injuries.