Thread: The Couplet
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Why would Jesus be excluded? Couldn't someone be part of team and be sent to deliver a message?

"Creation of Man" is probably what needs to be defined. Is it creation of Mortal man? is it creation of our intelligence?
In this cirucmsance, the problem in John 17:3 is that the one true God is indicated, and that Jesus is sent from that God (and therefore cannot be that God). The "and" looms large.

D&C 93:29 is clearly speaking of an eternal creation of man (and not a mortal creation). Things get really wild in that passage though, in addition to delcaring man an eternal, uncreated intelligence, man is said to be "spirit," "spirit" and "element" are both said to be eternal ("spirit and element, insepearbly connected receive a fullness of joy"), and the "elements are the tabernacle of God." "Intelligence" is also said to be the glory of God.

What I'm ruminating about is an implicit distinction in D&C 93 between God and the tabernacle of God. This might be a stupid thought, but Father and Son HAVING tangible bodies of flesh and bone (D&C 130) is not necessarily those bodies being part of their beings. It certainly could be, as in I HAVE a heart, but it could also be like, I HAVE a house (or tabernacle) wherein I dwell. In other words, God posesses a body and is inseperably connected to a body, but the body might be distinct from God.

Of course, Mormon notions of God have not required a physical body (the Holy Ghost and Jehovah before being born. They were both God), and I might just be on the edge of a tiny bit of "why" that might be so.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 04-21-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote