View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 10:19 PM   #21
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
There is some really great stuff happening in country music right now. You just aren't listening to the right stuff.

Check out Kasey Chambers, Gillian Welch, Loretta Lyn, Calexico, Iron and Wine, Emmy Lou Harris, The Be Good Tanyas. If you think country is snoozing you must be listening to the wrong stuff. Country is on fire, and that isn't even scratching the surface of the alt.country movement (of which I know next to nothing... except I like Wilco, and I hear there is a lot going on).

Pirate some of this music. You won't be sorry... except when you are burning in hell for stealing. But at least your ipod will be full, so hell won't be so bad.
I'm aware of a lot of that but don't consider it country. I like Calexico, Iron & Wine, Be Good Tanyas....add Kathleen Edwards, the Jayhawks, Slaid Cleaves and Billy Bragg to that list and to me what we are really talking about now is Alt-County. That is a WHOLE different deal. I have liked the Dixie Chicks because they have stuck to a blue grass sound, rather than the formulaic country/western crap the dominates the charts. I like Allison Krauss for the same reason. Not aware of Kasey chambers, will have to give him/her a listen.

The independent scene is where most of the good music is coming from now. The internet makes it possible to bypass all the filters to get right to it. Thank goodness.