View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #135
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Interesting. From the organizer of the boycott.

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle...037DB048C.html
Here is his answer to the primary question:

Quote:
RFE/RL: Do you think the 1980 boycott was a success?

Ledsky: Well, I don't know [if it was] a success. It was a major embarrassment to the Russians. The Russians have never forgotten it. The Russians were very angry that this boycott was organized -- or the attempted boycott was organized. And I think it was a serious blow to the Russians and to the prestige of the Olympic Games in 1980. They suffered a lot of financial losses and they were deeply embarrassed that people did not come. And I think that in 2008, the idea of a boycott because of what is going on in Tibet, because of how the Chinese have behaved on human rights issues, has a certain appeal. I mean, I'm not in a position where I would say it was a good thing to do or a bad thing to do, but I respect those, like the French, who are beginning to talk about the inability to participate fully if the Chinese do not stop their human rights violations
This is from the guy who directed the 1980 boycott. That is quite the ringing endorsemnt. Besides, what esle do you expect him to say?