View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 04:35 AM   #17
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Again, do me the favor and outline what his credentials are. Your response is simply evasive and non-responsive. Being a soldier, spending a chunk of it as a POW, does not give you "national security credentials." Please walk me through what you feel are his top 3 or 4 specific traits or credentials that give him a clear advantage over Obama. I am pretty clueless as to these obvious characteristics to which you refer. Sounds like you are too.
It's not evasive and non-responsive. I'm simply stunned that someone would ask such a stupid question, particularly when the answers are so widely available. There's plenty of places to get educated about his military involvement (here's his Wikipedia page, for starters), but here's a quick summation:

- Grandfather was a Navy Admiral
- Father was a Navy Admiral (thus he grew up around military life and culture)
- US Naval Academy Graduate
- Naval Flight school graduate
- Served 6 years as naval combat pilot, including surviving two crashes
- Had flown 23 bombing missions when captured in Vietnam
- Spent 5.5 years as POW, surviving torture
- Attended National War College
- Became CO of a Florida training squadron and earned Meritorius Unit Commendation
- Served as US Senate Naval liason for 4 years
- Retired after 20 years in the Navy at rank of Captain
- Served on the Senate Armed Forces Committee since 1987 (is currently the Ranking Minority member)
- Was member of Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs

Refer to this list the next time you get an ignorant urge to call me "clueless".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
To everyone else who has responded, Reagan actually proves my point....he had ZERO national security experience when elected...yet his charisma and his oratory (tear down this wall) was very effective...as was the accumulation of silos all over the globe. Arch mentioned California as a redeeming quality on Reagan's resume, but I am sure he was joking, as being the Governor of California has nothing to do with establishing "national security credentials."
Perhaps I unnecessarily distracted from my point by using the word "credentials". It appears to have distracted the myopic to highlighting every successful president who had no military experience. Yes, there exists a successful commander-in-chief who was once an actor. This is no great secret. You think you're the first to come up with it?

Obama doesn't have any credibility on national security. Reagan did. Rightly or wrongly, people believed Reagan ... they felt he knew what he was talking about and they trusted his vision of what America should be abroad. And once in office, Reagan proved that by and large, he DID know what he was doing.

Obama doesn't have that. And he's up against a candidate who can make an even better case for himself than Reagan did. This 100-year distortion reflects that insecurity. If you can't see that--what a great weakness this is for him--you're just whistling Dixie.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 04-03-2008 at 04:40 AM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote