View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 04:51 PM   #25
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
You are going way too far here. Your statement implies that anyone who doesn't write their federal representative on this issue views the church as a social club that is not led by a prophet.

I think you need to re-read many of the comments posted here thus far. I cannot pretend to speak for any others, but in my view, the church is led by a prophet, and I will follow the prophet when he speaks about matters important to my salvation. When he speaks about political mattters that are clearly not important to my salvation (if they were, this would be a temple recommend question and EVERY church member would be asked to write their representatives in every country asking for a constitutional amendment (or its equivalent wherever they live) I feel free to listen to what he says and come to a different conclusion.
Rhetorically you are right, I went too far, but in the substance I didn't. Everyone that professes belief here clearly accepts that at SOME point the prophet speaks for God. The question then is when does this happen? For you, apprently, unless someone sits you down and says "Hoyacoug, write your senator or else your temple recommend will be taken away" any advice or direction is discretionary. Others, myself included, tend to believe that a letter that is signed by the first presidecny and read over the pulpit worldwide at sacrament meeting requesting action based upon our application and understanding of the proclamation on the Family is a sufficiently clear expression of direction from the prophet to require action regardless what our reasoning may or may not inform our intellect about the topic.

Intelelct cannot be trusted in all things. I, and I am speaking only for myself, trust the prophet to see the future, to guide the church and to inform me about the Lord's will. I do not find those of you that disagree with me to be stupid or wrong, but you just don't follow the same path that I choose to follow.

You are correct again that you are ALWAYS free to ignore the prophet's advice; you are free to ignore commanments as well, shouldyou choose. That's why we are here. If you have reasoned this out, prayed about it sincerely, and are happy about your course, so be it.