View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #21
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post
The "odds" is a fast way for people that aren't such stat geeks to sum up all that crap of "memory" which has been spoken...ie....teams being pissed for getting run over the last two years and the mo they bring with it, injuries, how many players your team returns, how many players the other teams returns, which games are on the road, which ones are at home, adverse weather conditions possible, coaching changes, and on and on.

Now, these aren't items of "memory" per se...but they all factor in to how a season is played out, and have an effect on the outcome.

So, since I'm not a stats geek, or an English major, what is the best way to express all those factors succinctly without sounding like a spaz...oh, wait....?

And in the words of Count Olaf....."Thaaaanks for corrrrrecting me"
I disagree. People quote the "Odds" of going undefeated in three straight years of conference play as a huge hurdle for BYU to overcome this year. And that, my friend, is simply a logical fallacy. You're not the only one to do so - it's pretty common. My only contribution to this thread has been to point out that all BYU has to do is go undefeated THIS year.

Quote:
BUT, my head (not to mention the ODDS) of this happening 3 years in a row (MWC) is staggering.

FWIW, I agree with the general sentiment that going undefeated this year will be more difficult that many seem to believe.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote