View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Civil unions, or marriage, or in whatever equal form these relationships are finally recognized, are the attempt of a number of gay men and women to start living MORE responsibly.

Mike, there is nothing special about the word 'marriage.' A rose by any other name... the LDS church sees gay marriage as an assault on the FAMILY. Changing the name to 'civil union,' if it was a genuinely equal institution, would make it no less an assault on family.

Good luck changing the church from within. I hope your letters do some good.
Agreed. How frequently do LDS members complain that the activist judiciary frequently interprets things in manners that were not intended and arrives at incomprehensible results? I tend to think it happens far less than most LDS members do, but I recognize that any new amendment takes several decades before we actually understand its impact on law.

Anyone saying today that this amendment would not prohibit civil unions does not have a clue how the judiciary works. The short answer: WE DON'T KNOW, and we won't know for several years after it passes (which, incidentally, isn't going to happen anyways).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote