View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

On the other hand, I was a scout as kid, and had a good time. But I haven't had any real involvement with scouting since then, and not really very interested in doing so. A year and a half ago, I was called as the 11 year old scout leader (the fracturing of the already small scout troops in most wards is another topic of discussion). I accepted the calling, but not too enthusiastically. Since then, I've gotten much more excited and involved, and now am hoping that the bishop forgets that about my status and my position.

So although I see and largely agree with your points, it can work in positive ways at times. I've also noticed that in most wards I've seen, there is a tendency to leave good scout leaders alone for a looooong time, once they are found. For example, my brother spent 8 years as scout master - he had several groups of his ex-scouts come off missions and organize a camping or backpacking trip with him.

Now he's a bishop, and his five year stint is about up... shorter than his scoutmaster stint.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote