View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #20
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg View Post
The engineering programs at A&M that are better are Petroleum, Agricultural and Mechanical.
Aaah, program smack. What's next - Sears Cup points?

Seriously, though, A&M is the nation's leader in nautical archaeology.
http://nautarch.tamu.edu/

It's a pretty sweet program that I'd love to work with someday.

My big problem with this entire debate wasn't the mud-slinging. That's expected in the anonymous internet world of free speech. People say stupid and ignorant things. We should let them say them, but jump all over ignorant or hate-driven speech. Ridicule and verbal excorciation are the key - not censorship.

I think it's ridiculous MW was banned on one message board for what he posted on a different one. I've heard of stuff like that happening before, but it usually involved the Middle East and an Ayatollah.

Then, A&M posters claim that (1) it is a highly trafficked site but (2) it's not representative of the university. What, then, is? If so many tens of thousands of A&M fans are passing through, with nary a word to counteract religious hate-statements, let alone any outright bans, what conclusions are there to be drawn? Clearly, there's a double standard at play, and those condescending asses who told MW to grow a thicker skin need to recognize the amazing thinness of their own. There really is no defense for these actions.

I personally don't give a rat's ass about either aTm or the BYU. Actually, I'm kind of grateful to aTm for breaking Brett Elliott's hand in 2003, ushering in the glorious age of Alex Smith. But if Nemesis decides to visit aTm's basketball team on Thursday as punishment for the behavior of these particular Texags posters, I'm all for it.