View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #124
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Under those circumstances, what's the difference between a faith promoting historian and an apologist? To me, the Packer line is "we don't need historians, we need apologists."
In the interest of full disclosure, I would guess that Packer's sentiments are in the minority among FP/Q12. They bug me, but I've moved on. It's their church. They're in charge. They do what they want. If I get in trouble with the church for something I write someday (unlikely, but possible), I'll deal with it then.

If Packer wants to continue to go after the three big dangers to the church - homosexuals, feminists, intellectuals - it'll make for interesting discussion.

http://www.lds-mormon.com/face.shtml

Incidentally, Packer says something pretty intriguing in this talk, where he mentions a "growing group of the discontented. That is the rank and file who are trying to do what they are supposed to do and feel neglected as we concentrate on solving the problems of the exceptions."

I wonder if this is still an issue 15 years on.