View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road
Default LDS Apologia - More Harm Than Good?

Recent posts here regarding LDS history, interpretations of Clement, etc. have been thought provoking. In an effort to gain an objective viewpoint, I have been reading a great deal of FARMS, FAIR and other LDS apologia. I find myself at a crossroads and experiencing a crisis of faith.

Yesterday AA used the phrase "agenda based scholarship" which in my mind perfectly captures the essence of the LDS apologists. Their works commence with a predetermined objective to criticize the content, source materials and author's scholarship/worthiness in regards to any and all written works not in compliance with the whitewashed version of church history.

In the past week I have read FARMS articles highly critical of Todd Compton, Quinn, the BoM DNA findings, etc. I was surprised to find Compton the target of such vitriolic criticism for his findings on the polygamous escapades of JS.

The apologists' dogmatic and at times emotional approach is unconvincing and in my mind causes more problems than they attempt to resolve.

The balance of credibility weighs heavily in favor of the independent historians.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote