View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know the answer. But I don't think it is because Mormons are so knowledgeable and accepting of mental health treatment.

I've been thinking about this for the past few days. Should one of the fruits of the gospel be happiness in our lives? We are constantly falling short, and being told that we are falling short. We are given a set of tasks that are virtually impossible to complete. We are told that there is no guarantee of heaven unless your calling and election is made sure, and that happens to almost no one. What a luxury to be in a religion where if you merely accept Christ as your savior, you are saved. The amount of stuff that is placed on the men in the church is truly extraordinary. Does this explain why men are leaving the church, if the Pew statistics are true? I don't know. GBH seemed to want to tell us to be sunny and optimistic, that we are doing a good job, maybe as a counter to the message "you are a failure" that is so often delivered. When people are happy they will perform better. When they are happy, they will sell their religion. When they are unhappy they will not do these things.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote