View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #20
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
For instance, I am a mormon, therefore I am a bike riding white shirt wearing missionary who hates gay people and engages in polygamy in the eyes of most of the people I meet. Even close friends and relatives still assume this. Society wants us to fit into neat little boxes and it attempts to force us into these constructs.
So what keeps you from hating gay people and becoming a polygamist?

Obama had about as multi-ethnic an upbringing as possible. He was raised by his white mother and grandparents. He doesn't carry the heritage of American blacks. Yet when he becomes an adult he chooses a religious belief system that is so Afro-centric that it could be construed as bigoted. His self-professed spiritual mentor is controversial when it comes to race relations. His tortured denial/disavowal/rejection of Farrakhan's support during the debate was odd. It seems that he's gone the extra mile in embracing his African-American-ness.

This isn't a value judgement, I'm just curious if anyone has any insights. Does he explore this in his book? Surely some of the Obamaniacs here could shed some light.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote