View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road
Default J. Beck's CES Fireside

As my first post here on Cougargaurd, I thought I'd do a little transcribing of Sister Beck's CES talk from this past Sunday; it's the least I can do for the amount of entertainment/enlightenment y'all have given me as I've lurked.

What follows is a transcription from a portion of Sis. Beck's talk where I think she digs in, calls in the flanks, and doubles up:

"Latter-day prophets have repeatedly counseled you to get all the education possible for you. We live in an increasingly technical and sophisticated world. Education will help help you build the Lord's Kingdom and provide for your future family. Because education is so important to the rising generation, the Perpetual Education Fund was established, and now benefits more than thirty thousand members worldwide The Church has also invested many resources in institutes of religion all over the world, and in church schools and universities. I hope you are following the prophetic counsel to receive all the education and training that is possible for you. It's true, that you will be better able to serve in the Church and build the Lord's Kindgom if you have good employment. Mothers and fathers will be better parents as they are educated and know how to solve family problems and manage their homes in wise ways. Some of you women are deciding now whether you should marry and have a family or choose a career. That's because you are bright, qualified, and you have opportunities your grandmothers never dreamed of. The possibilities for earning credentials and making a mark for yourselves on the world stage have never been greater. But I hope you are making your decisions with the blessings of Abraham in mind. Latter-day Saint women should understand that no matter how many other people they enlist to help them with their home and children, they cannot delegate their role as the primary nurturer and teacher of their families. Righteous motherhood will always stretch every reserve one has to meet the needs of their families. As a daughter of God who has made covenants with Him, each of you carries the vital and indispensible famale half of the responsibility for fulfilling the Lord's plan. Every man and woman has the agency to prepare humbly and prayerfully, and choose how to approach your career opportunities. Every choice has a consequence. You cannot do everything and have everything. You must choose with eternal priorities in mind. I would hope that you will understand that there are no glamorous careers. Every form of employment has its own unique challenges. Many choices availabe in the world today compete with eternal goals and responsibilities. Many choices could persuade you to delay or limit the number of children you provide to your family. Many choices can rob you of critical time and energy necessary to adequately care for your spouse and children and your responsibilities in the Lord's kingdom. These decisions are between you and the Lord. He knows the desires of your heart in your unique situation."

The rest of the talk was about how service, sharing the gospel, and attending the temple can help you get married.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Last edited by Levin; 03-05-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote