View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 05:41 AM   #20
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
The bottom line is that those concerned about the consequences of this change need to be appeased and it won't suffice to merely make fun of them.
Come on. There's no "appeasing" those who want a constitutional amendment. That's the whole point of the amendment. Most these people who want it live in places where they'll never legalize gay marriage anyway. That's not good enough for them. They don't want it anywhere in America. I just hope that the American people retain the good sense not to amend the Constitution.

I'll meet them halfway, though. This is actually more of a state's rights issue for me, believe it or not. If Utahns don't want to legalize gay marriage, where I sit right now I'm not ready to get to fired up to want Congress to make them do it with a federal civil rights statute. (I could change my mind.) But it really enrages me that people in Utah or Alabama or the LDS Church want to tell California or Washington they can't marry gay people or recognize gay marriages. It doubly froths me that they just feel that way becuase they're getting reinforcement of their prejudices since childhood from over the pulpit.

I don't live in Utah or Alabama for a reason, and I don't want to contend with what I regard as their backward mores where I live. For aesthetic reasons, I'd like to see the Bill of Rights remain pristine in terms of protecting not anywhere abridging civil liberties.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote