View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a different culture and I truly doubt you can find many people dying from lack of access.

We have persons on drugs, alcoholics, and with poor eating habits that die. And people in the slums who probably don't get good health care, even if they qualify for Medicaid. Sometimes, we ignore the adage, that poor people have poor habits.

By no means do I have all the answers to access and affordability. And I never understood when health care changed from a service to a God given right, but society has some how magically made that transition.

But I don't see the linkage between health care, i.e., having operations or stuff diagnosed as affecting people as much as lifestyle. I don't visit physicians unless I'm in a sports accident. Every couple of years when I do, my good health habits, excerise habits and reasonably good constitution have produced a moderately healthy individual.

I work in health insurance, heath systems analysis, and the structural aspects of health care every day. There are significant communication problems, some difficulty in finding affordable assurance, but there also lots of stupid people who place themselves in dire situations. Yet many believe it's society's responsibility to care for the mistakes of stupid people. At some point, an adult shoulders the responsibility for his own health. We have many persons in our society shirking that responsibility.