View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #30
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

On Recruiting:

-The class we signed was very good. Could it have been better? Sure, but to assume BYU automatically should be the front-runner for all LDS athletes is the height of arrogance. A 5-star athlete who's grown up a USC fan will likely choose USC if given the chance. LDS or not.

-These things tend to be cyclical. Last year, we got a good percentage of the top LDS talent we went after. This year, it just so happened that most of them were less interested in BYU. It happens, and it's nothing worth worrying over.

On the TV package:

-I, for one, am glad that the MWC powers-that-be are looking for ways to get better TV coverage. Satellite distribution is a definite step up from where we are.

-Many people like to compare the TV coverage we have now to what the ideal ESPN coverage would have been. You're lying to yourselves and the rest of us. The ESPN coverage would have been far from ideal. Think WAC, with basketball coverage existing solely on 'ESPN U' or 'ESPN 360' or whatever the hell else they come up with.

-The current coverage is certainly not ideal, and I'll be unhappy about it until the MTN is on satellite. I'm in the minority where I get the Mtn, but I don't get Versus or CSTV. When the Mtn is on satellite, I'll switch to DirecTV & improve more than just my sports coverage.

-The biggest mistake made with the TV deal was with 'local coverage'...basically a plan to sell broadcasting rights to local TV stations like KJZZ or KSL.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote