View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 03:12 AM   #5
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I have two comments:

1. I suspect the rate of accidental shootings is very low among those people that properly store their guns. My guns are all locked away. And quickly accessible as well. But there are a lot of people who either don't care, or can't afford such solutions. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't own a gun.

2. If you think you may be at greater risk for suicide, or if you have a loved one that is at greater risk that also would have access to the arms, this may be a good reason to not own a gun, since it is a recognized risk factor for suicide. If you an old white male alcoholic who is divorced and own a gun and suffer bouts of depression--you are statistically a time-bomb in terms of suicide risk.

But the overall point is that there is always a risk to taking on a moral imperative. And that is why I'm saying why are some of you that are criticizing us that take on this risk, not willing to take on this risk yourselves?
Ok that makes sense. Perhaps my previous post was a function of my general lack of confidence in my fellow humans.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote