View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 06:06 AM   #43
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Without Pelagius's voice reason this thread would be a total goner. However, I agree with his hermeneutic in interpreting OT narratives.
If an OT story (or NT/Book of Mormon story, for that matter) flies in the face of Jesus Christ's teachings or the concept of a loving, merciful God, then I automatically categorize the story as literature or mythology (which may or may not be inspired to any degree).

Analysis of Mark Twain has MUCH more value than dissecting Onan.

Antiquity and context do not make the Onan story less stupid. Opium for the people. Marry your brother's widow as you're told, or God might kill you. Let Joseph have as many virgins as he wants, or God will destroy you, Emma. It's about powerful people controlling weak people. Even if you can stretch to find a modern day application, the story is still stupid, uninspired garbage.

I have a hard time looking past what I believe to be the obvious original intent of many of these stories.

I can read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day and get much more modern day application per time invested reading.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 02-13-2008 at 06:15 AM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote