Thread: #83 and #60?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 12:18 AM   #13
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
So the stories about the Utes getting kids we don't even recruit because of academics is a lie. Filiaga choosing the U because of academics was a lie? If it is a lie, it is one that has good footing amongst fans.

This isn't football, but I have never heard of a kid getting expelled for church attendance at BYU before. I will also bet the rules at BYU are laid out in much more detail than ever before. I have also never heard the number of missionaries in the program ever mentioned so often in prior coaching regimes.
On academics, it's pretty simple. If we recruit guys that end up not coming because they fail to qualify NCAA. And we recruit some guys and pray over their ACT test and they barely pass and we sigh with relief, then it goes to show that BYU has no academic standard that is higher than anyone else for incoming athletes. Now Filiaga did mention something about academics in the article where he announced the change to Utah. He got the impression that it would be harder to get good grades at BYU than another school. I have never heard that before from an athlete. I guess it's possible that's true or the perception is true.

As for the religious standards...you can't point to something Bronco is doing and blame it on the environment Bronco is stuck with. The baseball player thing would be quite a change, but word is that bishop was being a maverick and his decision is being overturned.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote