View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #185
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Just to be fair (and I'm really trying to be fair), let's see if I can sum up the general non-Tex opinion on this:

- The priesthood ban's exact origin is unclear, but likely grew out of the racist sentiment of early church leaders, including Brigham Young and others.

- The policy remained in place for decades by the continued racist sympathies of church leadership.

- God permitted his church leadership to continue the ban because: it wasn't important then/he didn't mind/a policy of non-interference in his mortal leadership (take your pick). Did I miss one?

- The ban was only rescinded once the last remaining outspoken racists were gone. The revelation to rescind was not so much a revelation as it was a confirmation of a decision already made by the remaining leadership.

- The lack of explanation 30 years later is an outgrowth of pride/embarrassment/ignorance/head-in-the-sand (pick one) behavior on the part of the current leadership.

- Someday when the current generation of leadership is replaced by the next, the church will admit the true racist, non-divine origins of the ban, and make peace with that chapter of history.

---------------------
How'd I do? Open questions I have that remain unanswered by this narrative:

- How to explain the petitions to God for the ban's recinsion by at least McKay and possibly others.

- How to reconcile the "true" origins of the ban (prophet's racism) with the need for and reception of a revelation.
You forgot Tex is evil.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote