View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #17
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I saw this film over the weekend. Pretty enthralling from early on due to good acting by Bale and Crowe. But over time the story kind of failed for me. Could have been great but ended up only good.

Things that bothered me:

--Crowe was a bad man. You always root for redemption in the bad guys and look for the natural humanness to surface, but he proved it wasn't gonna. He killed needlessly and throughout the whole thing was extremely selfish. For him to turn on a dime for Bale's character to save face for his son was very unbelievable.

--Bale's character was so extremely pathetic. Indecisive wuss. Crowe's picking up on his wife in front of him and he just lets it happen. He has no backbone. Then all of a sudden he gets one at the end. Also not believable. They took me so far the other direction, thinking he was pathetic and almost rooting against him that it was too much to turn that quickly and let him be a macho hero.

I did like the scene in the upstairs room where Bale decides to go for it.

Liked it didn't love it. Might be a movie I like more rewatching it.
I think when Crowe pays him for the cattle he killed, as well as doesnt kill the guy at the beginning, he also gives Bale extra money, then he saves them from the indians, and helps them get away from the miners. I think that they were showing he had a heart all along. He also had hired an apache which they eluded that no one else would do.

Bale I agree did have much of a backbone, but when he jumped Crowe at by the fire, and started that attack on the miners, I think they were proving that he was gaining one.