View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
I get a kick out of the fact that somehow the 17-16 crapfest BYU put on against UCLA somehow tells us more about the program than the 38-8 thrashing of Oregon.

I'm not sure I understand the logic there.

that said, I must admit that the two punts in the 4th quarter on fourth and short deep in UCLA's territory were two of the worst calls I've seen in the last 5 years of watching football.
I think BYU is riding a hot streak that they will not be able to contain long term. The 2006 squad was really good, for sure. I think they were that once a decade type of team that BYU has. I think BYU has a shot to be a good team once every 3 years and once every 3 times they have a good shot things work out favorably for them. By favorably, I mean no major injuries, good schedulte etc. I think BYU is likely to have more teams reminiscent of the 2007 team than the 2006 team.

I think BYU went from a great team in 2006 to a core of offensive skill players that although young are more talented that what BYU will normally get all at one time. I think Hall, Unga, Pitta and Collie are very good and normally at BYU I think you would see 2-3 max of skill players that good at the same time.

Further, I tend to think that if the 2006 team played in the Pac-10 they were likely to finish 9-3 instead of 10-2. BYU probably would play a softer OOC schedule and finished it 2-1 but there is no way I could see even that BYU team finishing a Pac-10 schedule better than 7-2.

I am not sure I agree with Bellotti that BYU couldn't be a mid tier Pac-10 team but I don't think the fanbase in general, not those who post here, understand that BYU will lose a lot more frequently. I also think Arnett hit the issue spot on, BYU isn't a normal program and the belief that BYU is going to attract better coaches and athletes with BCS affiliation is not a real sound conclusion. In fact, one can point to the LDS kids lost but IMO most of those kids are consistently going to be OL and DL and the kids BYU gets after losing those national level studs are usually not significantly worse players. I just don't see a big talent upgrade for BYU under BCS circumstances. In fact I bet that in time the losing and the reality of never being a major player causes BYU to lose more of the LDS blue chippers than they are already losing. I think the hope that BYU can be a BCS crasher from the MWC is more realistic than BYU ever winning a BCS conference championship.

But it wouldn't bother me to see BYU in a bigger conference as the excitement of 5-6 good games a year would be more fun than the excitement of 2-3 max.