View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #32
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Tex, I tend to be on your side of this issue, but I think UtahDan asks the key question. If not in SS, then where? I agree it would be hard to do deftly, but I think it has to be there. In fact, I think it is in the church's interest to do it there, so there can be some spiritual input along side the worldly hoo-hah. Do you disagree?
These are all good questions.

Let's look at the landscape.

The Church provides "uplifting" yet "sanitized" historical reports and doctrinal explanations.

Members are discouraged from participating in small groups religious study. I remember a First Presidency letter to that effect.

Many interesting but difficult facts exist for which the sanitized version of events do not account.

So if members are not to discuss or study these things in small groups, and if we are not supposed to discuss these things, what are we supposed to do, close our minds and pretend they don't exist because Big Brother Bureaucracy will take care of you?

We're painting ourselves into an untenable position. There must be reasonable outlets for ordinary members to explore these questions. We can let the anti's do it, or we can do it ourselves.