View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #31
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Ted Tollner, Larry Smith and perhaps the worst hire ever in college football Paul Hackett took a great program and turned it into a mediocre one. I'm not so amazed that PC has done so well but that those three did so poorly. USC is thee program west of the Mississippi and with the talent in SoCal how do you ever have a down year there? Wooden was a great coach. His losses to North Carlina State, Houston, Notre Dame (the three biggest I can think of) were against teams with great players. Bobby Knight is another coach I would classify as great. His last NC team had nothing (Steve Alford, Keith Smart) yet they were able to win it all. PC has brought that program back to the top but that is where I would expect them to be.
According to your standard, PC has never gone in to a game as an underdog and won.

Wooden never went in as an underdog and won, either, so if you are being consistent, Wooden was not a good coach.

Also, your rationale does not explain why FUCLA can never win a football NC. They have the same recruiting base, comparable facilities, and brand recognition as SC. Why are they not always at the top of the polls? Because their coaching sucks recently, even though their recruiting is always in the Top 15-20, often Top 10. Top recruiting classes do not ensure success.

It would be interesting if we could find to any legitimate critique of PCs coaching ability by some source.....I don't know...the AP, ESPN, Sports Illustrated, someone, somewhere who agrees with your contention that PC is not a good coach. I'd be open to read it, for sure.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote