View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
But I'm saying your point about independence isn't factual. The Hebrews learned about the Logos from the Greeks. The Hebrew Bible talks about God and the word of God. The Hebrews who translated the Bible into Greek, the lingua franca of the educated classes, and expounded it decided that the term Logos fit as far as interaction between God and man, including God's words. As Philo's writings demonstrate, Jews of his background and generation (including probably John and Paul) looked around them and saw the indubitable value of Greek philosophy and Classical culture, and they labored to harmonize the Bible with Greek philosophy. This explicitly was Philo's undertaking. Harmonizing those two traditions was Philo's life work, it could be said. Philo was like the Romneys; he came from a rich, worldy Jewish family who were prominent in the Roman world. HIs nephew became an apostate and governor of Egypt. Again, Philo was not a Christian, but he's been adopted as such by later generations.
But to use Jung archetypes, one would argue that the hero archetype of Christ is universal and not confined to Greeks and Hebrews learning Greeks.

And it is far from proven even among the scholars that the Hebrews learned the logos doctrine in the tanakh from the Greeks. I know it's a nice, little tidy explanation, but it's too Farmsish for my tastes and explains too homogeneous of a fusion.