View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 02:06 AM   #96
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yes, the secrecy of polygamy was an aberration in some respects. Wasn't the temple ceremony also secret?
Apples and oranges, IMO. It might be a better analogy if we were all asked to lie about the fact that we have a temple ceremony upon leaving the temple. When asked about polygamy, JS swore on all that was holy that it was a vicious lie.

If the prophet asked me to do something and then told me to lie about it when asked, I doubt I could do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The difference here between JS and the modern church is that JS was doing something revolutionary on the down-low. Is the modern church doing the same? I don't think so. At least if they are, I'm not privy to it.
But the point is, you are lambasting Romney for being embarrassed about polygamy and you are using the bravery of JS as a counter-example. I certainly agree with your points about JS being a revolutionary. I admire that too. But in terms of his courage to proclaim the truth at all costs, polygamy (ironically) is a glaring exception.