View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #20
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I don't know about myopia (Lasik worked wonders for me), but I think the western US identity still dominates the modern LDS church. While the idea of a global culture is nice, I think SLC still calls the shots. And that culture trickles down too. There is a trans-national LDS culture, but it's a culture largely dominated by Utah and its mormons, IMO.
I don't live in the states. Consider for a moment that I am the ONLY American in my congregation. Previously, before moving to the suburbs I was also one of the FEW caucasians. My church culture is decidedly different than that of Utah's. Now place my experience in context to membership around the world along with the move by Salt Lake to send apostles abroad permantly! Salt Lake will always call the shots, but the direction the church is NOT determined by American needs but by world needs.

You and Mike and all others on this site save maybe myboynoah have a woefully self-centered view of the church. It is as much an expression of your Americanism as it is your Mormonism.

Consider for a moment if the US still calls the shots?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote