View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
I hesitate to post these as I know your people's penchant for pouncing on anybody who shows the faintest bit of interest, but my curiosity has gotten the better of me. Also please keep in mind my knowledge of your beliefs is mostly derived from some videos I was shown when I was trying to make bacon with this smoking hot baptist chick back in college and, to a lessor extent, from that other board.

First question: Missouri is the promised land

My first, rather impolite, reaction to this is: Missouri? Really? Have you been there? My more thoughtful question regarding this tenant or revelation or whatever you call it is could this have been a reaction to Missouri's rather rough treatment of your forefathers? A sort of "You'll get your's Missouri. We're coming back to bust a cap in all y'all's asses." I realize I might be paraphrasing a bit.

My second question involves the trek west, when your people came out of the mountains and Brigham Young says "This is the place."

I realize he was the prophet and thus was to be followed without question, but I can't help but think that a few in the flock looked at each other and said "He's kidding, right?" I've got nothing against the Salt Lake area per se, but after trekking across Nebraska and southern Wyoming from comparatively lush Missouri and Illinois I have to imagine the rank and file were expecting something a bit more. I guess there's technically no question there, but you see what I'm getting at.

Though couched in light-hearted terms, the questions are sincere.
Those reactions pretty much mirror mine. I'm hoping I'm dead before the saints gather to Missouri or that maybe I can stay behind to take care of church property. I don't care for Missouri at all. My sister is very found of it, though.

Adam and Eve were in Missouri. It's either where the Garden of Eve was or where they went when they were cast out of the Garden, so that might have something to do with it.

As far as Salt Lake goes, it's OK but I'm not overly fond of it. I wish the Saints would have continued on to Vancouver Island, British Columbia as they were threatening to do but I think that was just a ploy to get the US government to co-operate.

Probably one of the reasons Salt Lake was selected was because it was so remote. Nobody else wanted it.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote