View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 02:31 AM   #4
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Dang. That's rough. I ask this from ignorance, but how long do ice storms last? Are they like rain or snow storms?

If it makes you feel any better, I have 8 inches of snow in my yard and your heating bill will be a lot lower than mine. My wife has now set the thermostat to "hell" for the winter.
We don't normally get ice storms like this. Trees that are ~60 years old were completely toppled. It's the worst destruction I've ever seen.

It just lasted a day or so, but the ice was so think and heavy that it literally devastated the city. I don't know how it happened. I just woke up in the morning, and everything was covered in ice. For example, the ice was so thick over the grass that you could walk on it as if you were walking on a frozen pond, without it cracking. And the shape of the ice followed the contours of blades of grass. Same goes for pine trees. You had ice covering little groups of pine needles. When I woke up and saw the ice, I thought: "This is gorgeous." But within 24 hours, everything collapsed. A forty foot pine tree went down in our yard--completely uprooted.

But they've got power restored at the mall--and in the rich neighborhoods.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote