View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #34
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Legacies (and non CC donors) definitely are hit up each year, and definitely give each year...Coaches Circle, CC, and stuff that doesnt even go towards athletics, such as funding for new campus buildings, etc..

I have no way of knowing, but $50MM a year in donations, particularly repetitive ones, seems awfully high.

Santos may know for sure since he seems to have access to the LDS Church accounting database. But I would venture to guess that $50MM is high.
No I don't have access to church accounting database at all. But I have some knowledge of church and BYU finances.

$50M seems high but not ordinately high for BYU as a whole. They're always building and always asking for money. It seems a few years ago when Bateman did a big push they got much more than $50M like several times that number. Athletic department got a portion of that to build indoor practice facility.

Athletic budget is $25M a year and basically breaks even. Might turn a small profit or migh run a small deficit depending on the year. Donations to athletic dept are included in the top line revenue.

They'll run a capital project for building or recently for coaches salaries and put in in an endowment where just the interest is considered revenue for athletic department.

I believe BYU requires $500M in tithing money, so $50M doesn't go too far with that.

$50M also wouldn't be a large number compared to what other universities get in donations every year.

Then again, what does it matter? Church gets tithing, BYU donations, BYU athletic dept donations. Church uses all of it to fund its projects, including BYU athletics. Hey to ALUF's.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote