Thread: War is hell
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 03:26 AM   #9
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

One thing to remember is that PTSD is not a new phenomenon. Our grandfather who fought in WWII / WWI / Vietnam / Korea and I would even venture to say earlier wars all had to deal with PTSD. It was just that no ever knew why uncle X always keeps to himself, or why cousin Y drinks a lot and his marriages always fall apart.

I think about one of the greatest men that I have known who recently passed away this past year. He served 3 tours in vietnam was highly decorated and wounded several times. He has been there, done that and seen it all. I always wondered how he handled his nightmares and the ghosts of memories that haunted him? I look at his life that was completely and totally dedicated to serving other people around him, not wallowing in his own self pitty for the wounds that he sustained while defending a country that would shun him and his comrades when they returned. Somehow I think that this dedication, and "loosing himself" in the service of other people is what got him through those tough times.

Amazingly enough, the industrialized society and country that we have today has been built up by men (mostly) who were able to deal with their "PTSD" sustained in WWII and build up our economy, culture and society that we have today.

Again, I think that the key is getting these guys pluged into the right system.

Steelblue - Your friend, if he is out of the military needs to get counseling that can be arranged through the VA. If they give him a hard time about it, call the local television station and they will gladly run a story about him. If he is still Active duty, he needs to talk with his NCO and his company commander, they will then get him pluged into the system that is in place to get him the help he needs. A big part of which is to realize that this is common, see and be with other vets that are having the same problems.
Zulu451 is offline   Reply With Quote