Thread: Hand Over Heart
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #25
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
On the surface, I don't think it differs all that much from fascist salutes from the early 20th century. There used to be an Olympic salute that athletes would do when they won in the modern games. In 1936, Jesse Owens didn't know what to do because the Olympic salute was the same as the Nazi salute. So, he gave an awkward military salute instead.

http://www.grizedale.org/2007/03/17/...02-293x400.jpg

I think the salute (and, consequently for me, putting hand over heart) is just one more thing that the Nazis screwed up for everyone (like the swastika).

I'm a patriotic person; I've served my country. I just don't like physical salute (for civilians), as if a gesture somehow conveys additional nationalistic devotion. I have no problem if others do it, but I haven't done it for several years. I stand for the national anthem. I'll say the pledge of allegiance. But I leave my hands at my sides.
I would be interested when the tradition of hand over heart came into existence. I doubt doing symbolic things origninated with the Nazi's. I think the Romans saluted, probably the Eqyptians had symbolic gestures.

Some gestures are good and some are bad, ask coach Glenn.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote