View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #25
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
FARMS is trying to develop an empirical, historical explanation for the "Great Apostasy." The problem is it's a distortion of history, and limiting. There may at one time have existed some small inconsequential sect of Hebrew speaking Jews that were not imbued with Greek culture calling themselves Christians. Harold Bloom purports have identified such a thing. But the Jesus of the Gospels, the Christianity of the New testament, was not corrupted by some later encounter with Greek. They ARE Greek, at a cellular level, right down to their DNA. Harold Bloom recognizes this, saying the NT is foreign to him, as a Jew.

Again, it's like saying America was corrupted by some later encounter with Great Britain. Maybe the Pilgrims would say that, but the Pilgrims would not and could not have written the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Fedaralist papers, etc. The irony is that if one were to say that about America, he wouldn't be talking about the same America even the declarant thought he was referencing. He'dr really just be talking about the American wilderness, not America at all.

Especially now that the LDS Church has conceded Lamanites are not American Indians, the Great Apostasy may be the LDS doctrine I find most objectionable. Next to murder, religion's greatest crime is distorting and obscuring the eveidence about human and natural history.
I don't know who you think you're trying to fool with this. You don't believe in the LDS church. We get it. But you're the one making yourself look like a joke for this attack on Robinson's theory of Church of the Devil. By your logic, the church still couldn't make a case on the apostacy if the early Christian church threw out Jesus completely and conformed to Greek mythology.

You think you're being logical because you don't accept any of the assumptions I put forth in earlier post. You believe Jesus and Paul pulled Christianity out of a hat by Hellenizing Judaism in the first place. We can't even have a dialogue if you don't accept that the people talking with you believe Jesus is the Christ.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote