View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Is LDS social services the easiest and cheapest and fastest way to accomplish that?

The adoption scene is a marketplace, no doubt. If you are not white, if you are older, if you have handicaps, if your mother was a drug addict, etc. your value as a potential adoptee go way down.

If you were interested in adopting an older kid, say above 10, could you do that through LDS social services? What if you wanted to adopt a kid who is in foster care?

Cheapest? Yes, in most cases.

Easiest, fastest? No way, although it depends on the adoptive parents. Some adoptions happen quickly, others have spent years and years and years on waiting lists.

My advice would be, if you have no children and the adoptive child would be your first, go through LDS Social Services and you'll probably have a child placed with you within 2 years (this assumes you are somewhat normal in intelligence and income).

If you already have a child or children go private and if you choose an agency wisely, it will be much faster than LDSSS.

If you want an older kid or a kid in foster care, I would go through government or government associated agencies. Adopting older kids is quick and cheap and older kids need love and good homes too.

However, I wouldn't adopt older kids if you already have kids unless they're all much older than the kid you'd adopt.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote