Thread: War is hell
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
One of the YM in my ward did 2 tours in Iraq. He was a convert at age 17 and really only stayed on the right path for a few months. He was a very troubled soul, but I grew close to him and tried to help him as much as I could. I got a call from him a few months back after he'd been home a few days from his second tour, and he was very drunk. He was telling me that he'd been diagnosed with PTSD and that he didn't want to live anymore. He thanked me for being a true friend and told me that he'd always believe the gospel was true even though he didn't feel he could ever live it. He told me goodbye and hung-up. He refused to tell me where he was or anything like that. The next day I got a call from his wife asking if he'd spoken to me the night before. I told her that he had. She asked "how did he sound"? And I said, "he sounded like he was going to hurt himself, but I had nobody to call. I didn't even know what city he was in". She told me that he'd attempted suicide right after he hung up with me. Luckily, just before slashing his wrists he called his local Foxnews station and told them where his body would be found. The MP's found him just in time to save his life. He's been in a psych. hospital since then and I've yet to hear from him.
If it's anything like Texas he will be out of the hospital very quickly. I hope he gets good help.

I know what it is like to be called by someone who says he is about to kill himself. It is not a good feeling.

That he called you must mean you really held a special place for him.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote