View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 11:18 PM   #47
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
It's fantastical because it isn't based on any evidence, but was created in the mind of 19th century boy. For the last time, the theoretical concept is not fantastical, the specific story is. I really hope you'll read that sentence until you understand my position.
Hmmm. WHat you said was:

Quote:
Nope, it's not something that can really be proven false, but it does seem very unlikely. I put it in the same category as any other fantastical idea that isn't disprovable.
The 'its' pronoun referred to Indycoug's question to you whether a claim of ANY lamanite ancestry was false. Despite your protestations, then, your oringial comment clearly labeled it a 'fantastical' idea not because it was in a boy's head, bu becaseu it was disproveable. The other possible meaning that could be ascribed to your statement is that the idea was so inherently fantastical that it obviously fit in with other (undefined) fantastical ideas. I suppose it is also possible to read this as stating that the fact that Indycoug asked about Lamanite ancestry made it fantastical, but could you be so small minded as to be critical of the use of the name 'lamanite' when it seemed pretty clear he was using it to refer to persons of mid eastern or even plaestinian descent? Or is that just an example of your poor reading comprehension? Hard to say, then, what it is you actually did mean, which is sort of Arch's point.

Now I have been known to miss the point before, and maybe I did here, but I have rarely seen someone as arrogant and certain about their own knowledge and abilities without demonstrated cause as you.