View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #23
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Yes, I think you are missing the point. Of course, no movie is going to have the same impact on a viewer as said viewer having his or her head blown off. That's a silly standard to hold. The point is, the movie presents the reality of the invasion. I.e., as if you were viewing it in real-time. No artificial softening it up in order to not offend someone's delicate nature. IMO, showing a realistic and honest depiction of the battle honors those who had to endure it.
I see your point. I guess we can respectfully disagree to the use of the term "reality." Movies are fun and interesting. They are, by definition, no portrayel of reality.

I dont think movies portray things realistically because they lack the critical emotional component of the subject being portrayed--that is, while showing people getting their head blown off can make you think, "Wow, that is awful. Our boys sacrificed everything for us at Normandy," I feel it is naive to think, "Wow, watching this movie is realistic. It is like being there. I get it...War is Hell." I think that does more disservice to the honor of those that were there and vomiting from fear than to assume that watching a movie and actually portrays any sort of reality. People that watch war movies do not suffer emotionally for the rest of their lives.

Anyway, see any other good movies lately? I really want to see the new Steve Carrell movie because it looks like it may be funny.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote