View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #48
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't like your premium BYUTV idea, because it leaves BYU with even less exposure than before the mtn.

MWC is weaker than the worst BCS conference, but better than the WAC. Yawn. (This per Sagarin).

I like the idea of fans of big programs getting tired of playing directional U. But I don't see any real groundswell. Look at A&M and UT's traditional pathetic non-conf schedules. Fans seem just fine.
The MWC has to take a hit on playing potentially huge opponents to look good for the sake of stacking home games. It is better to begin building our own tower of cards using the same tactics as the charter members.

From 1985 to 2005 the ACC played all non bcs or non charter member schools at home 83.5% of the time. With the emphasis of putting butts in seats schedules are being dumbed down. I haven't crunched the numbers on the SEC yet, but they initially look even worse. If The MWC were to schedule the way the SEC does to ensure that they are playing at home 3/4 or 4/4 times each season they are building revenue streams as well as stacking their numbers. It doesn't matter if the SOS is in the toilet anymore. It is about winning which will become a self fulfilling SOS prophecy. The Big East has understood this which is why they get away with having such pathetic SOS starting each season, but still have 3 top 25 teams.

If 6 out of 9 MWC teams were to go 4-0 OOC beating up on teams they are likely to beat, than they could each go .500 in conference and still come out 8-4. However the likelihood is that the conference would have two teams with 10+ wins with four in the 9+ win category and 7 teams all bowl eligible.

Sure the initial squawking would be heard in the media about how weak the MWC scheduling is, but after a couple of seasons, the computer polls would begin calculating the MWC teams with 4-0 and 3-1 records as contributing to each others SOS so by seasons end the magic of improve SOS would create the same illusion the Big East has succeeded in doing.

Once the MWC goes two years in a row with 3 or 4 teams with 9 or more the status quo will be that they are a strong conference.

It is about getting their first before we try and thump the establishment.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote