View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #47
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
That is what makes it so amazing. It doesnt even look real.

If you watch "Riding Giants" sometime, Laird talks a bit about that day and how fluked it was that he caught it. He wasnt even suspecting it and it was almost out of self preservation that he rode it out. Check out the line he leaves when dropping in. It is almost like he dropped back toward wave before he then turned back out again.

Another interesting thing i learned in that documentary was that the break there is very odd. it is not a standard shoreline break, but rather the convergence of two breaks....so it is virtually impossible to ride an entire tube without crashing into the second wave coming at you from the opposite direction.

I wonder if I will ever have the guts to attempt something like that when I am resurrected and immortal?

I have an "Eddie Would Go" t shirt. Does that count for something?
That break is just so heavy. Take the hollowness of pipeline with the power of Mavs and Jaws behind you. It's almost like the ocean rises 20 feet behind the face there. Not to mention it breaks in just a few feet of water. Eat it there and you're not pushed down 30 feet like at Mavs but instead into a razor sharp reef.

Todos Santos and Cortes Banks are some wild waves. Especially Cortes which breaks out in the middle of the ocean because of the underwater mountains there. Factor in the sea life teeming among the peaks that rise to 20' within the surface and you have a scary ass wave. When you have to worry about getting eaten by a shark and surviving a 60' face, no thanks. I'm out.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"

Last edited by Surfah; 10-22-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote