View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #46
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
Listen, I'm thankful to Cougarguard because until today, I had no idea Sister Beck's talk had ruffled so many feathers. In fact, I make the semiannual joke with Mrs. Smails to wake me up when the RS/Primary/YW counselor is done speaking, but this time around I listened, and I was very impressed (as was Mrs. Smails).

I'm a lifetime Mormon, returned missionary, living in Idaho with a stay at home mom for a wife and 5 children under the age of 9. That said, I'm usually pretty sensitive to how others might view a talk even if I tend to fall in with the rank and file, but apparently I was way off on this one.

I'm pretty sure every doctrine taught by the brethren has been consistent throughout the years and is a softer version of "a woman's place is in the home", generally with exceptions (methinks it was the lack of exceptions in Sister Beck's talk that has everyone's collective panties in a bunch) One of those softer versions is taken from the Proclamation on the Family:

"Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children."

Clearly, there are situations where a woman needs to be in the workforce. And absolutely women should get as much education as possible - I believe the Brethren have been consistent with both of these principles, but they should be "primarily responsible for the nurture of their children".

Sister Beck set the bar awfully high, I realize, but I believe the Savior said "Be ye therefore perfect". Where's the uproar over that one?

Does anyone think the Savior thinks we'll be perfect starting this week? Do you think Sister Beck thinks we will close down all MTC's and replace them with mini-MTCs?

What's wrong with proclaiming the ideal? I think that's all Sister Beck did and to that I say kudos.

and Go Cougars.
Your background information, which is solid by the way, would be one reason why you were not upset nor saw a reason to be upset by the talk.

You probably don't understand why anyone gets bugged when single men are called out during conference either.

Also you live in Idaho.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote