View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road
Default My first marathon in the books.

Just got back from the St. George marathon. Finished at 4:09, first half in about 2:09, second half in about 2hrs. Not a great time, I know, but for a guy in his mid-30's who'd get winded running to the mail box 4 month ago, it's not too shabby.

It was a great day, started out around 35 degrees, but warmed pretty quickly to the 50's once the sun came out. I ran with my BIL and we kept a 10 min/mile pace the first half, and then decided to kick it up a notch around mile 12. I was starting to feel it in my calves and upper quad/groin around mile 18 and was pretty miserable around mile 21.

Then we entered town and the crowds really got my adrenaline going. I think my fastest pace was actually the last 4 miles even though I was in some pretty good pain. I kept thinking "you better slow down", but then I'd see some old dude or a chick a few yards ahead of me and I just had to pass them. Once I rounded the last turn and could see the finish line, the crowds were pretty big with everyone cheering. I sprinted those last couple of minutes, blowing by folks in front of me, just hoping I wouldn't puke. Luckily I didn't.

My legs are freaking killing me now, mostly my calves. Walking is a bit of a chore, and I can barely make it up the stairs. I'm sure it's because I ran a 1:00 to 1:30 faster pace than I trained and because the hills on the race were steeper than anything I'd trained on. I did what I swore I wouldn't do: run faster than I trained. But man, those competive juices get going and the crowds get the adrenaline pumping and you just can't help but speed up.

Anyway, it was alot of fun: the setting was just gorgeous, everything was well organized, and the volunteers were amazing. I'm definitely gonna try to run it again next year, I think I'll shoot for the 3:40ish range.

One other note: of all the runners and volunteers, I saw one, maybe two in Ute gear, but 30-40 in Cougar gear. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Oh, and thanks to the guarders who gave me some good advice along the way.

Last edited by Venkman; 10-08-2007 at 12:47 AM.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote