View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 09:45 PM   #20
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't like scientology, and I don't care for Cruise, but I agree with Fus on this one. Freedom to express and act on your beliefs is one of the freedoms this country is all about. There is no reason one should be prevented from using all legal resources in a legal way on behalf of any issue in which you believe. Am I to understadn that many of you think it is ok to stand up and speak, but that you shouldn't use economic pressure? So, no boycotts are ever allowed, and we shouldn't choose what stores to patronise based upon any factors related to policitcal or personal or religious issues. Whether it is a good idea or not is different from whether it should be allowed. If we resent Cruise for standing up for his beliefs, then how can we support efforts to ban gay marriage, or attempt to lobby school boards with reepect to our childrens' instruciton, or oppose efforts to publicly ridicule our church? Look, I don't think Southpark is worth the effort, but apparentl Cruise did and I really can't criticize him, on that level, for ahving done so. Whether it was prudent is another issue.