View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #114
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Should we always adhere to the counsel of our leaders (let's stick to General Authorities for purposes of this discussion)? Not necessarily.

As a quick for instance, sometimes our leaders give specific examples of how they would implement some Gospel principle (eg. Sabbath observance). Personally, I may disagree that I need to do precisely the same thing, but I do acknowledge that the principle (which is really the bigger picture) being taught is correct and I need to apply that principle in my life.

Should we regularly and justifiably find ourselves in opposition to the counsel of our leaders? Probably not.
Agreed, it is a slippery slope to justify over and over again not following the counsel. However, to not recognize the counsel is given often as a generality for the church and point fingers is also detrimental.

Several come to mind. Every young man a missionary and women shouldn't work outside the home. Earlier ones like, get married after your mission as soon as you can and don't put off having children. Some have looked at others and pointed a finger just as surely as if they had lit up a Marlboro in church.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote