Thread: Gay by Choice?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 02:53 AM   #12
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I think you and the author may be overstating the importance of the biological argument.
I think that's the author's point... That the biological argument shouldn't be so important. I think the author shows that holes can be put through the biology argument so activists should avoid pushing biology as a justification for rights.

Here is what I took from it...

1- Currently the Supreme Court bases civil rights decisions on "immutable traits." If you are not a minority because of some genetic or biological thing over which you have no control, you are out of luck.

2- As a result of # 1 activists have attempted to protect the civil rights of homosexuals by arguing that being gay is biological.

3- If there are some problems with the biology argument.

4- The problems with the biology argument can be exploited to prevent homosexuality from being considered immutable and the argument will eventually fail.

5- Gay activists should abandon the biology argument and make a better legal argument for gay civil rights. I.E. get the SC to abandon the "Immutable" idea and put homosexuality on the same level as religion.